Baked Spinach and Gruyère
Recipe type: Side, Appetizer, Snack
- 1 tbsp olive oil (dish)
- 6 shallots (thinly sliced)
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 14 tsp grated nutmeg
- 40 ozs spinach (frozen leaf, thawed)
- 2 cups gruyère (grated, 8 ounces)
- 12 cup parmesan (grated, 2 ounces)
- Heat oven to 400° F.
- Coat a shallow 2½- to 3-quart baking dish with oil; set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shallots, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the wine and simmer until evaporated, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, cream, milk, nutmeg, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Squeeze the spinach to remove excess liquid. Stir the spinach, shallots, Gruyère, and Parmesan into the egg mixture.
- Transfer to the prepared baking dish.
- Bake until bubbling and the top is golden brown, 45 to 55 minutes.If the casserole is warm, transport it in an insulated bag or a cardboard box lined with towels. Or you can make it a day in advance and, upon arrival, reheat it, covered, at 350° to 400° F for 45 to 50 minutes.