French Toast Casserole Recipe
Recipe type: Casserole, Breakfast
- 1 loaf challah or French bread (1 lb), cut into 1-inch slices
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups whole, low-fat (2%) or soy milk
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 4 teaspoons packed light brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- Maple-flavored or real maple syrup, if desired
- Butter bottom only of 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish. Place bread slices in 2 rows, overlapping each other on an angle, in baking dish.
- In large bowl, beat eggs, milk, half-and-half, brown sugar, salt, ¼ teaspoon cinnamon, the nutmeg and vanilla until thoroughly combined. Carefully pour mixture over slices, making sure each slice is completely coated. Cover baking dish with foil or plastic wrap; refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- At serving time, heat oven to 350°F. Uncover baking dish; sprinkle butter, granulated sugar, 2 teaspoons cinnamon and the pecans over bread.
- Bake 40 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with maple syrup.
Add a few tablespoons of chocolate chips and shredded coconut to the toppings for extra decadence. Powdered sugar can be substituted for the maple syrup as a topping.