Spicy root & lentil casserole recipe
Recipe type: Casserole
- 2 tbsp sunflower or vegetable oil
- 1 onion , chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , crushed
- 700g potatoes , peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 carrots , thickly sliced
- 2 parsnips , thickly sliced
- 2 tbsp curry paste or powder
- 1 litre/1¾ pints vegetable stock
- 100g red lentils
- a small bunch of fresh coriander , roughly chopped
- low-fat yogurt and naan bread, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large pan and cook the onion and garlic over a medium heat for 3-4 minutes until softened, stirring occasionally. Tip in the potatoes, carrots and parsnips, turn up the heat and cook for 6-7 minutes, stirring, until the vegetables are golden.
- Stir in the curry paste or powder, pour in the stock and then bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, add the lentils, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes until the lentils and vegetables are tender and the sauce has thickened.
- Stir in most of the coriander, season and heat for a minute or so.Top with yogurt and the rest of the coriander. Serve with naan bread.