Apple Glazed Baby Back Ribs
Recipe type: Barbecue, Entree
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons garlic salt
- 4 teaspoons pure ancho chile powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon celery salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- ½ cup apple cider
- ¼ cup apple jelly, melted
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 racks baby back ribs (about 4 pounds total)
- 1 cup prepared barbecue sauce
- Preheat the oven to 250°. In a bowl, mix ¼ cup of the sugar with the garlic salt, chile powder, salt, black pepper, celery salt, cayenne, cinnamon and white pepper. Transfer 1 tablespoon of the spice mix to a medium bowl and whisk in the cider, apple jelly, honey and the remaining ¼ cup of sugar.
- Pull the membrane off the underside of each rib rack using a towel to grasp the corner. On a rimmed baking sheet, rub the ribs with the remaining spice mix; bake, meaty side up, for 2½ hours. Pour the cider mixture over the ribs and turn to coat. Tightly cover with foil and bake for 1 hour.
- Light a grill. Uncover the ribs and brush with the barbecue sauce; grill over moderate heat, turning and brushing, until glazed, 15 minutes. Let rest for 10 minutes, then cut between the bones and serve.