Recipe type: Entree, Seafood
- 8 quarts water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 1- to 1½-pound live lobsters
- 1 recipe Clarified Butter
- In a 12-quart kettle bring water and salt to boiling. Grasp each lobster just behind the eyes; rinse lobsters under cold running water. Quickly plunge lobsters headfirst into the boiling water. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Drain lobsters, remove bands or pegs on large claws.
- When cool enough to handle, place each lobster on its back. Separate the lobster tail from the body . Cut away the tail membrane to expose the meat. Remove and discard the black vein running through the tail. Remove meat from tail. Twist the large claws away from the body. Using a nutcracker, break open the claws. Remove the meat from the claws. Crack the shell on remaining part of the body; remove meat with a small fork. Discard the green tomalley (liver) and the coral roe (found in female lobsters). Serve lobster meat with Clarified Butter.
- Clarified Butter Recipe – Melt ¼ cup butter over very low heat without stirring; cool slightly. Pour off clear top layer; discard milky bottom layer.