Cube Steak Milanese
Recipe type: Entree
- 4 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- ½ cup diced red onion
- ½ teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 egg plus 1 egg white
- ½ cup plain dry breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup grated Pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese plus ¼ cup shaved (see Tip), divided
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley (optional)
- 1 pound cube steak, cut into 4 portions
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 6 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 cups baby arugula, chopped
- ¾ cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, plus lemon wedges for garnish
- Combine tomatoes, onion and ¼ teaspoon salt in a large bowl.
- Whisk egg and egg white in a shallow dish. Combine breadcrumbs, grated cheese and parsley (if using) in another shallow dish. Season steak with the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Dip each piece into the egg, allowing excess to drip off into the dish, then dip in the breadcrumb mixture and turn to coat.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the steaks and cook until golden brown on the first side, about 3 minutes. Turn the steaks over, add 1 teaspoon oil and cook until the steaks are cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes more. Transfer to a plate; tent with foil to keep warm.
- Add ¼ cup shaved cheese to the tomato mixture. Add the remaining ¼ teaspoon pepper, the remaining 3 teaspoons oil, arugula, basil and lemon juice; toss to combine. Serve the steaks on beds of the arugula-tomato salad. Garnish with lemon wedges.