Mexican Shepherd’s Pie
Recipe type: Entree
- 1½ pounds ground beef
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- garlic powder to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (1.25 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- ¾ cup hot water
- 1 (11 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (8.5 ounce) package corn muffin mix
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (optional)
- 1 (2.25 ounce) can sliced black olives (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Spray a 9×13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place the beef and onion in a skillet over medium heat. Cook until beef is evenly brown and onion is tender. Drain grease. Season with garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Mix in the tomatoes, and cook 5 minutes. Stir in the taco seasoning and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and continue cooking 5 minutes, until thickened. Transfer to the prepared baking dish, and top evenly with corn.
- Prepare the corn muffin mix according to package directions. Spread evenly over the corn layer in the baking dish.
- Bake 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until puffed and golden. Garnish with olives and cheese.