Obama’s Baked Ziti
Recipe type: Entree
- 1 pound dry ziti pasta
- 1½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ pound ground beef
- ½ pound ground pork sausage
- 1½ (26 ounce) jars spaghetti sauce
- salt to taste
- 1 (6 ounce) package provolone cheese, sliced
- ¾ cup sour cream
- ¾ cup cottage cheese
- 1 (6 ounce) package mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook pasta in boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes, or until al dente; drain.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in large, heavy skillet over medium heat. Cook onion in oil until tender. Stir in rosemary and garlic. Transfer to a small bowl.
- Place ground beef and sausage in the skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until evenly brown. Stir in the onion mixture and the spaghetti sauce. Season with salt. Reduce heat to low, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9×13 inch baking dish. In the prepared dish, layer ½ of the cooked pasta, provolone cheese, sour cream, cottage cheese, and a little less than ½ of the meat mixture. Then layer the rest of the pasta, mozzarella cheese, remaining meat mixture, and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 30 minutes, or until heated through and cheeses are melted.