Southwestern Tri-Tip Roast
Recipe type: Entree
Serves: 6 to 8
- 1 Dried chipotle chile pepper, broke open, seeded, and crushed (about 2 teaspoons)
- 1 Tablespoon snipped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ Teaspoon salt
- 2 Cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1½ to 2 Pound boneless beer tri-tip roast (bottom sirloin)
- For rub, combine chipotle peppers, oregano, oil, cumin, salt, and garlic. Spread rub over meat’s surface using your glove-covered hands; rub it in.
- Cover and chill for 6 to 24 hours.
- Place meat on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Insert an over-going meat thermometer into center of roast.
- Roast in a 425 degree F oven.
- For medium rare, roast for 30 to 35 minutes or until meat thermometer registers 135 degrees.
- Cover with foil and let stand 15 minutes.
- The temperature of meat after standing should be 145 degrees.
- For medium, roast for 40 to 45 minutes or until meat thermometer registers 150 degrees.
- Cover and let stand 15 minutes.
- The temperature of meat after standing should be 160 degrees.