Grilled Chipotle Burgers with Guacamole
Recipe type: Lunch
- 2½ lb lean (at least 80%) ground beef
- 1 can (4.5 oz) Old El Paso® chopped green chiles (1/4 cup)
- 3 tablespoons chopped canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, undrained
- 8 slices Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, if desired
- 8 burger buns, split
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 2 large avocados (about 1 lb), pitted, peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper sauce
- ¼ teaspoon salt, if desired
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- Heat gas or charcoal grill. In large bowl, mix beef, green chiles and chipotle chiles. Shape into 8 patties, about ¾ inch thick.
- In medium bowl, mash guacamole ingredients, using pastry blender or fork.
- Place patties on grill over medium heat. Cover grill; cook 13 to 15 minutes, turning once, until meat thermometer inserted in center of patties reads 160°F. Top each patty with cheese slice; cook just until cheese is melted. To toast buns, place cut sides down on grill during last 1 to 2 minutes of cook time.
- Layer buns with tomato slices, burgers and guacamole.
You can control the spiciness of these burgers by adjusting the amount of chipotle chiles and adobo sauce in them. Short on time? Skip the guacamole and top your burger with a slice of avocado instead.