Hoagie Sandwiches on the Grill
Recipe type: Lunch
- 8 soft hoagie buns (6 to 7 inch), split
- ¾ cup creamy Dijon mustard-mayonnaise spread
- 8 slices (1¾ oz each) provolone or mozzarella cheese, each cut into 4 pieces
- ½ lb thinly sliced salami or summer sausage
- 1 lb thinly sliced cooked turkey or chicken
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cut into thin bite-size strips
- Heat gas or charcoal grill. Cut 8 (12x12-inch) sheets of heavy-duty foil. Spread cut sides of buns with mustard-mayonnaise spread.
- On bottom halves of buns, layer cheese, salami, turkey and bell pepper. Cover with top halves of buns. Place sandwiches on foil. Wrap each packet securely using double-fold seals, allowing room for heat expansion.
- Place packets on grill. Cover grill; cook over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Carefully open packets to allow steam to escape.
Set out the ingredients for these hoagies and let guests prepare their own. Include extra mustards, mayonnaise and garnishes such as pickles and olives. Wrap the sandwiches in foil and heat as directed.