One-pot chicken & chickpea pilau recipe
Recipe type: Lunch, Dinner
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 chicken thighs , skin removed and trimmed of fat
- 2 large leeks , thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves , crushed
- 400g can chickpeas in water, drained and rinsed
- grated zest of 1 lemon
- 200g easy-cook brown rice
- 450ml chicken stock
- 1 head broccoli , broken into florets
- Heat a large, lidded frying pan or fl ameproof casserole and add the oil. Fry the chicken thighs for 2 mins, turning halfway through cooking, until lightly coloured, then lift onto a plate. Add the leeks to the pan and stir-fry for 3 mins, then add the garlic and tip in the chickpeas, most of the lemon zest and rice. Stir together until well mixed.
- Nestle the chicken in the rice mix. Pour over the stock and season lightly. Cover and cook on a low heat for 20 mins until the chicken is nearly cooked through and the rice has absorbed nearly all the liquid. Sit the broccoli on top of the rice, cover and continue to cook until the rice and broccoli are tender and the chicken cooked. Sprinkle with the remaining lemon zest to serve.