Basil Caesar Salad
Recipe type: Soups & Salad
- 1 (10-inch) piece baguette, cut into 1-inch pieces
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon anchovy paste
- 1 cup basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- 1 package romaine hearts (1 pound), leaves separated and washed well, then halved crosswise
- 1 cup coarsely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Preheat oven to 375°F with rack in middle.
- Toss bread with 2 tablespoons oil and ¼ teaspoon each of salt and pepper in a large 4-sided sheet pan, then spread out in 1 layer. Toast in oven, stirring halfway through, until golden, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, with motor running, drop garlic into a food processor and finely chop. Add egg, lemon juice, anchovy paste, and ½ teaspoon pepper and pulse until combined. With motor running, add remaining 6 tablespoons oil in a slow stream, blending until emulsified. Add herbs and blend until dressing turns green and herbs are finely chopped.
- Toss romaine with dressing, croutons, and half of cheese in a large bowl. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.