Chicken Fiesta Salad
Recipe type: Soups & Salads
- 4 Cups torn iceberg, Boston, or Bibb lettuce
- ½ Cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeno peppers (2 ounces)
- ½ of a 15-ounce can of black beans, pinto beans, or garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed and drained (1 Cup)
- 8 Ounces chopped cooked chicken or turkey (about 1½ cups)
- 2 Small tomatoes, cut into thin wedges
- 1 Cup jicama (about 4 ounces), cut into bite-size strips, or 1 cup shredded carrot
- ½ Cup sliced, pitted ripe olives (optional)
- 1 Recipe Chile Dressing
- ¾ Cup tortilla chips (optional)
- Place the lettuce in the bottom of a 2-quart clear salad bowl.
- Layer ingredients in the following order: cheese, beans, chicken, tomato, jicama, and olives
- Spread Chile Dressing evenly over salad, sealing to edge of bowl.
- Cover salad tightly with plastic wrap.
- Chill for 4 to 24 hours.
- To serve, toss lightly to coat evenly.
- Sprinkle with tortilla chips.
- For Chile Dressing, in a small bowl stir together ½ cup mayo or salad dressing, one 4-ounce can chopped undrained green chile peppers, 1½ teaspoons chili powder, and 1 clove garlic, minced. Makes about ¾'s of a cup.